Before your appointment →
Pre-Tattoo DO’s →
Pre-Tattoo DO NOT’s →
After Your Appointment →
Looking After Your New Tattoo →
Post-Tattoo Do’s →
Post-Tattoo Don’t’s →
Pre and post Tattoo
We here at Studio Elev8 want to make sure you have all the information you need to adequately prepare for your upcoming tattoo appointment. On this page we’ll cover everything you need to know regarding preparation for and aftercare of your new tattoo!
Before your Appointment
- Get a good night sleep the night before your tattoo. SUPER IMPORTANT!
- Have a big breakfast/lunch one hour prior to your appointment.
- Drink plenty of water and bring in some of your favorite sugar treats or chocolate on the day of your appointment. For large sitting keep in mind that there are food places close by. If you have specific needs you can bring your own food and there is a fridge to keep it cool.
- Bring comfortable clothes (especially something which is accessible to the area you are getting tattooed), headphones, phone charger and anything which will make you feel more at ease (e.g if you have a favorite blanket or pillow, bring it! Get comfortable!)
- Shave the area you are getting tattooed in the morning of your appointment.
- Make sure you have the correct money via cash, Venmo, credit card for day of the appointment.
- A week prior to your tattoo appointment begin lotioning the area with a high quality fragrance free lotion 2 to 3 times a day. Aveeno is what we recommend.
- When it comes to the designing of your tattoo, take your artist’s advice. They are the experts and know what needs to be done to make it look fantastic and keep it original.
Pre-Tattoo DO NOT’S
- DO NOT take drugs or alcohol within 24 hours of your tattoo (ESPECIALLY on the day, No Oxycotin, Xanax, Tramadol, ibuprofen, aspirin, etc. It will not help.)
- DO NOT come to your appointment if you feel like you are getting sick or if you are already sick. We can always reschedule and get you in on another day.
- DO NOT come in if you are sunburnt. Please notify us and reschedule.
- DO NOT bring a large group with you, Studio Elev8 is a private spot and very quaint. It’s okay to bring a friend for moral support.
- DO NOT come in without eating before your tattoo.
- DO NOT book a day if you know you will be short on time and will be in a rush. Tattoos take time and precision.
- PLEASE understand that we do not negotiate pricing, so please plan appointment accordingly.
After your Appointment
Looking after your new tattoo
After your tattoo session, your artist will wrap your fresh tattoo to protect it until you get home. PLEASE carefully follow the instructions below for the best possible healing for your tattoo.
FIRST WASH: Leave the wrap on for at least an 3 hours and no more than 5 hours. Once you remove the wrapping from your tattoo, jump in the shower and give your tattoo a good massage with UNSCENTED soak (we recommend Dial antibacterial liquid soap. Do not use bar soap as it is much more prone to cross-contamination).
It is very important to wash away any excess ointment, dried blood, and lymphatic fluid. For the last minute of you wash, hold your tattoo under cold water for one minute to close the pores of your skin. Pat dry with paper towel. Wait 24 hours and then start using aftercare cream.
EVERY WASH: Using warm (not hot) water and your antibacterial soap, massage your tattoo and wash away any excess ointment, dried blood, and lymphatic fluid. For the last minute of your wash, hold your tattoo under cold water for one minute to close the pores of your skin. Pat dry with paper towel.
There are many brands of aftercare cream that different artists recommend using. We recommend Aveeno lotion. After washing your hands thoroughly and drying with paper towel, evenly apply a THIN layer of aftercare cream to your tattoo. It is important not to apply an excessive amount of cream. LESS IS MORE.
For the next 2 weeks, wash your tattoo 3 times a day and apply aftercare cream.
- Always wash your hands before touching your tattoo. KEEP IT CLEAN!
- Wash your tattoo 3-5 times per day.
- Wear clean clothes and have fresh bedding while your tattoo is healing.
Once your tattoo reaches the itchy stage, put your lotion in the fridge and the cooling will help take the itch away. If that doesn’t work, you can *gently* slap the tattoo to relieve some of the itching.
- Let your skin flake off naturally.
- Put sunscreen on your tattoo once it has finished healing.
- Use moisturizer several times per week to prolong the quality of your tattoo.
- Contact Studio Elev8 if you have ANY questions about the healing process.
Post-Tattoo DO NOT’S
- DO NOT touch your tattoo with without washing your hands.
- DO NOT let anybody else touch your fresh tattoo.
- DO NOT pick or scratch your tattoo.
- DO NOT wear tight clothing which will rub against your tattoo, for two weeks.
- DO NOT expose your fresh tattoo to direct sunlight for two weeks.
- DO NOT soak your fresh tattoo in the bath, ocean or pool.